Hey, (mood) readers!
I am back with another book tag. Thank you so much Mani from Mani’s Book Corner for remembering me and tagging me to do this quick one!
I’ll just be answering a few bookish questions and that’s it. Unfortunately, I do not know the original creator of this tag but please let me know in the comments if you do!
1 – What do you like about buying new books?
The best thing about buying new books is the actual process of choosing which ones to get. Personally, I have three tendencies in buying books (especially during sales):
- First is the on-a-budget version of me. This book shopper will go through the bookstore and end up choosing a few picks before settling down on just one. Sometimes, I even go out of the bookstore without a single title!
- Second is the taking-my-time version of me. Usually, when I go book shopping alone, I end up staying on the store for hours! This means going through every shelf looking for a great steal (or maybe ten). I tend to do this when I’m at my favorite secondhand bookstore.
- Lastly is the out-of-control version of me. This happens when I am at the peak of impulse buying! I get tricked by beautiful covers and grab all the eye candy on the shelves – most of the time, I even skip reading the blurbs!
Whether I am in the mood for any of the three, you have to admit that there is nothing more exciting than choosing which book babies you will adopt and carrying them with you as you go home.
2 – How often do you buy new books?
I do not really have a specific time when I choose to buy books. Before the pandemic, I used to visit my favorite bookstores once a week after work. However, because I have been working at home, I do not have the ability to do that anymore. Recently, I bought a few secondhand reads online. The first time in three months!
3 – Bookstore or online book shopping: which do you prefer?
I have to admit that I am a fan of both. I love going through bookstores because it is a happy place. But, there’s no denying that there are great steals when you buy online!
4 – Do you have a favourite bookshop?
Here in Manila, I have access to two main bookstores: National Bookstore & Fully Booked. I tend to buy more from NBS because I am such a fan of their sales & promos! Fully Booked is the bookstore to choose for unique & new titles but most of the time, I do not have the budget to buy too many books from there.
However, my favorite Filipino bookstore will always be BookSale. When I was still a broke highschool student, this secondhand bookstore gave me the chance to buy books for as low as 10 pesos! That’s just 20 cents in USD. Though I do not get to visit them as much as I would’ve liked, this bookshop will always be very special to me because they offer amazing finds and steals if you know where to look!
5 – Do you pre-order books?
I do not usually pre-order books because I tend to lean towards physical copies for books that I really like and shipping constraints limit me to pre-order from Manila. I also tend to read from the backlist – for some reason. I guess it has to be a book that I really really love so that I can be convinced to pre-order!
6 – Do you have a monthly buying limit?
I don’t really have limits on how much I spend because I really do not spend too much on books. When there are some sales, I tend to spend about 2,000 pesos or 40 USD. But when we are talking about Big Bad Wolf Sale in Manila, I usually end up spending 8,000 to 10,000 pesos or around 160 to 200 USD.
7 – How big is your wish list?
I have a fairly manageable wish list both on Amazon and Book Depository.
8 – Which three books from your wish list do you wish to own right now?
At the top of my head, the top three books that I would love to have are:
- The Raven Cycle book set by Maggie Stiefvater
- Slay by Brittney Morris
- Where Dreams Descend by Janella Angeles
- Jessica from Strung Out On Books
- Ivana from Books and Prejudice
- Kimberly froom Bookish Kimberly
- Andrew from On My Bookshelf
- Rose from Wanders Between Pages
- And anyone else who wants to do this super quick tag.
I hope you do this tag – no pressure on when! Also, please do not forget to link back to me so that I can read your answers!
♡ Yna the Mood Reader ♡